Columbia West College, a growing ACCET-accredited private language school located in Los Angeles, is currently seeking experienced and energetic Substitute ESL, University Preparation, Business English, and TOEFL-experienced instructors for ongoing openings in our morning, afternoon, and evening programs.
Our school hosts a dynamic group of adult ESL learners from all around the world and offers a variety of programs including Standard ESL, Business English, Conversation, TOEFL, and University Preparation.
Our morning programs run from 9:00am to 1:30pm, Monday through Thursday. Our afternoon programs run from 1:30pm to 6:00pm, Monday through Thursday. Our evening programs run from 6:00pm to 9:40pm, Monday through Friday.
Instructors are provided additional paid planning and grading time each academic session and have the opportunity to get involved in private tutoring, student activities, student workshops, and professional development sessions. Pay increases are based on semi-annual performance reviews.
- Providing engaging, organized and relevant ESL instruction in grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking, communication skills, pronunciation, slang & idioms, vocabulary, and test-taking skills to students of varying English-language proficiencies and backgrounds
- Starting and ending class on time each day
- Preparing weekly and/or daily lesson plans in accordance with class syllabi and curricula
- Preparing class materials in advance of class sessions
- Conducting regular assessment of student mastery of learning objectives through appropriate testing tools and assisting in the creation of formal assessments
- Performing ongoing administrative duties
- Enforcing attendance policies
- Attending monthly faculty meetings and professional development in-service sessions, including weekly teacher training modules
- BA or BS degree. Candidates with advanced degrees, TOEFL teaching experience, overseas teaching experience and/or TESOL certification preferred;
- English fluency equivalent to that of a native English speaker;
- Minimum of three years recent ESL teaching experience, education and/or training or a combination of all three, unless instructor presents outstanding credentials, education and qualifications, which will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Chief Academic Officer.
- Bright, energetic, and enthusiastic personality;
- Willingness to be evaluated regularly by students and the administration to ensure maximum effectiveness as an educator;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Experience with Communicative Language Teaching methods